This content is restricted in your region
|Starts||Sun 12 July 2020|
|Finishes||Sun 26 July 2020|
|Air & Tour||$7590* Twin Share|
|Single Room||$1150 Supplement|
|Deposit||$800 non-refundable deposit|
|* Costs are based on prices as at July 2019 and must remain subject to possible change in the unlikely event of significant exchange rate variations, airfare increases and minimum group size (20) contingencies. PP = Per Person. Refer to Harvest Terms & Conditions for more details.|
|Airfares: Economy class airfare from Brisbane to Rome and return from Munich (N.B. Airlines taxes are included on standard itinerary and subject to fluctuations). Flight: Rome – Split – Munich.
Accommodation & Meals: Based on moderate standard hotel accommodation throughout with breakfast, dinner daily.
Touring & Transportation: Category TC1 or TC2 Passion Play Tickets • Deluxe Air Conditioned Coach touring with driver • Professional English Speaking Guide • Sightseeing & Entrance Fees • Porterage of 1 piece of luggage per person at hotels.
Other: Fully Escorted by Spiritual Chaplain • Mass Daily • Harvest Backpack, Pilgrim Journal & Tour Wallet.
Not Included: Passport • Visas (if applicable) • Prepaid Tipping (invoiced with other services) • Other meals not stated • Items of a personal nature including phone calls, laundry, beverages, etc. • Travel insurance (Harvest will recommend a special group policy rate).
This content is restricted in your region
Accompanied by Fr Leo Burke
Rome (3 Nights) • Medjugorje (6) • Oberammergau (2)
Meal Code: (B) = Breakfast (L) = Lunch (D) = Dinner
On arrival at Rome airport, we will be met and transferred to our centrally located accommodation for the remainder of the day at leisure.
Rome overnight (D)
Commence our pilgrimage with a spectacular Mass at St Peter’s Basilica, before coming to the nearby Vatican Museums. Wander the spectacular chambers leading to the Sistine Chapel to view Michelangelo’s masterpieces, including the magnificent fresco of the Last Judgment. Continue through to the awe-inspiring St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest church in the world for an informative exploration. Our guided tour will feature among other highlights Michelangelo’s stunning Pieta, the tomb of Pope St John Paul II, the great Confessional and the Crypt containing the tombs of several Popes.
In the afternoon, visit the impressive St Mary Major Basilica. Onwards to the Basilica of St John in Lateran (First Papal residence) and the adjacent Holy Stairs brought from Jerusalem to Rome in 326AD by St Helena (as a favourite of pilgrims, these steps may only be ascended on the knees).
Then visit the Basilica of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme with its extraordinary collection of relics from the Holy Land.
Rome overnight (BD)
PAPAL EVENT: Travel to St Peter’s Square this morning for a memorable Papal Audience with Pope Francis as we join with pilgrims from around the world. (Subject to the Pope’s presence in Rome)
Journey this afternoon out to the majestic Basilica of St Paul Outside the Walls. Originally consecrated in 324, the saint’s tomb is visible now under the Papal Altar. We will celebrate a wonderful Mass here as a special tribute to the Church’s greatest evangelist. Continue then to the ancient Catacombs for a memorable guided tour to marvel at these underground burial tunnels for Christians and Hebrews.
Dine out tonight at a traditional Trattoria, enjoying the Roman atmosphere!
Rome overnight (BD)
This morning we will visit the most visited attraction in Rome – the Colosseum. In 1749, Pope Benedict XIV declared the Colosseum a sacred site, as it was a place where early Christians had been martyred.
We depart from Rome this afternoon for our flight to Croatia. On arrival we will be greeted by our local Medjugorje guide who will take care of our group for the duration of our pilgrimage. We travel three hours by coach into Herzegovina and onto the village of Medjugorje. Prepare for a most extraordinary encounter of grace and peace for the next six days. Here we will be welcomed by a local family in private guesthouse lodgings (all rooms with ensuite). Home-cooked dinners and breakfasts will be served daily from your residence.
“I have come to tell the world that God exists … that peace is necessary for the salvation of the world. Mankind must be reconciled with God and with one another”. These words came as a soothing balm to a troubled world and were first spoken by Our Lady to six village children in June 1981. Since then, a legacy of remarkable events has turned Medjugorje into one of the world’s most acclaimed pilgrimage places. For nearly 30 years up until the present day Our Lady has been appearing on a daily basis to give countless messages to the children. Some of these messages are private, some are for all people and some contain secrets that Our Lady has revealed to the children about future events of the world.
Healings, miracles, wonders and conversions – these have been occurring for so long. Endless streams of pilgrims over the years have come to receive these graces and return to their homelands renewed.
The activities here will be evenly proportioned by our guide throughout the stay to allow time for rest and personal retreat. Each evening we should be advised of the following day’s agenda, as many events in Medjugorje are spontaneous. Here are some of the highlights we hope to include:
• Meet the Visionaries – The visionaries regularly receive groups, give explanations, pray with and answer pilgrims’ questions (subject to spontaneous availability)
• The Hill of Apparitions – Make the journey in prayer up to this sacred site where the first apparitions took place and Our Lady first told the children ‘I have come to tell the world that God exists…. that peace is necessary for the salvation of the world’.
• Climb Mt Krizevac – The Mountain of the Cross dominates the landscape. Pray the Stations of the Cross and ascend the grace-filled path, which rises to the breathtaking summit with its commanding 30-foot cement cross built in 1933.
• Visit Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Retreat House, commonly known as “the Castle”, and hear the amazing testimony of Patrick Latta, a successful businessman and car dealer from Canada, who received a great grace of conversion through the messages of Our Lady. In 1993, he and his wife Nancy left everything behind and moved to Medjugorje during the height of the war.
• Visit the Cenacolo Community – ‘Field of Life’ is the name of the community that Sr Elvira has founded for young men who were once drug addicts. We will be touched to hear their miraculous testimonies of faith.
• Special visionary events – Join Ivan’s prayer group during a special outdoor apparition or be present when Vicka has a special meeting at night on Mt Krizevac (subject to spontaneity).
• Inspiring Talks – There is an enriching Franciscan talk most afternoons in English.
• Share occasional group gatherings – Optional and led by your Priest, for voluntary sharing, prayer or group rosary.
• Enjoy personal free time daily. All activities listed do remain optional.
• Dubrovnik Day Tour – Dubrovnik with its magnificent stone walls, churches, palaces and plazas. Visit the Basilica of St Blaise in the Old City where we will celebrate Mass. Culminate at the renowned Franciscan Monastery.
EVENING CHURCH PROGRAM (DAILY)
5.00pm The Rosary (Joyful and Sorrowful Mysteries)
5.40pm Apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary
6.00pm The local’s Croatian Mass After Mass Benediction, blessing of objects and prayers for healing.
7.00pm The Rosary (Glorious Mysteries) Above times are one hour later between mid-April and mid-September
Today we will be transferred to the airport for our flight connections to Germany. On arrival at Munich airport we will be transferred south by coach through the picturesque Bavarian Alps to the village of Oberammergau, home to the world-renowned Passion Play.
Every ten years affords pilgrims the great privilege of witnessing the world-renowned Passion Play of Oberammergau. For over 300 years this picturesque village in the Bavarian Alps has re-enacted the Passion of Jesus, and people of every religious denomination have been drawn to this cherished spectacle.
Oberammergau overnight (BD)
The history of the Oberammergau Passion Play begins in 1633. During the Thirty Years’ War, after much suffering and also many deaths caused by the plague, the surviving population of Oberammergau vowed that they would perform the “play of the suffering, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ” every ten years if they were spared from extinction. At Whitsun in 1634 they kept their promise for the first time. As early as the middle of the 18th Century spectators came to Oberammergau from all parts of Germany, attracted by the great power and mystique of the play. In 2020 the village will perform the play for the 42nd time, maintaining the continuity of this unique world-famous event.
Over 2000 participants bring the story of Jesus of Nazareth to the ears and eyes of the audience in a five-hour presentation on the imposing open-air stage. Almost half of the inhabitants of Oberammergau enact with great devotion the story of Jesus, whose message gives billions of people hope and strength. The play covers the period of Jesus entering Jerusalem and continues up to his death on the Cross and his resurrection.
Today is the highlight of our pilgrimage when we attend the Passion Play.
Oberammergau overnight (BD)
This morning we will return to Munich airport for our homebound flight connections. (B)